Tips to reduce wandering:
1. Place deadbolts either high or low on exterior doors.
2. Move around and exercise to reduce anxiety, agitation and restlessness.
3. Ensure all basic needs are met (toileting, nutrition, thirst).
4, Carry out daily activities, such as folding laundry or preparing dinner.
5. Reassure the person if he or she feels lost, abandoned or disoriented.
6. Control access to car keys (a person with dementia may not just wander by foot).
7. Avoid busy places that are confusing and can cause disorientation, such as shopping malls.
8. Do not leave someone with dementia unsupervised in new surroundings.
More than 60% of those with dementia will wander.