Mercury is a neurotoxin that may trigger a broad range of illnesses when exposed in large, or small amounts. It is a naturally occurring component. Although, the burning of fossil fuels and other forms of pollution increase concentrations of mercury in our air, water, and food.
In large amounts mercury causes severe neurological disorders, most often in people who have consumed highly contaminated fish.
A team of researchers from the Universtiy of Geneva, Switzerland, ran a study that suggest how smaller concentrations of mercury affects gene expression. Even with low exposure, algae showed altered genetics. This can affect the central nervous system of top consumers as mercury concentrations accumulate through the food chain.
Possible symptoms of mercury poisoning include:
- Loss of peripheral vision
- “pins and needles” feelings usually in the hands, feet, and around the mouth
- Lack of coordination
- Impaired speech, hearing, and walking
- Muscle weakness
How to detox from mercury exposure
- Diet – avoid all sugar and milk, limit processed foods
- Beneficial Bacteria – take one quarter to one half teaspoon a day of a high quality probiotic.
- Use bathroom regularly
- Eat garlic and cilantro – both herbs aid in removing toxins from your body.